Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Missing in Action


This is a great historical fiction book written by Dean Hughes. It may be better suited to the male readers of this audience, because it is written from the perspective of a 12 year old boy during World War II. As a former "girl" reader, I gained new insight into the workings of a young man's mind about serving in the war for any reason, and appreciate what I experienced in this story. When Jay reluctantly befriends a Japanese American boy working at his Grandfather's ranch, he learns there is much more to stereotypes, prejudice and friendship than he ever thought possible. I think you'll find respect for both Jay and Ken as they take situations head-on when confronted by their peers and strangers in town. I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment